Monday, March 19, 2007

Sold by Patricia McCormick


I want to tell you that you must read this book. I want to tell you that it will change the way you feel about sharing your room or having to eat leftovers again tonight. I want to tell you that reading this book will change the way you think about your everyday life. All of that is true, but reading this book will also show you things that are so painful that most of the world likes to pretend that they don't exist. Sold is the story of thirteen-year-old Lakshmi who is sold into prostitution by her step father. She has been living a subsistence life with her mother and younger sister in a hovel in Nepal. When she is sold to an "Auntie" she thinks she will be working in the city as a maid and this will allow her to send money home to her mother. Instead she is sold to a brothel in India with bars on the windows. She is broken and left without hope as her body and mind are abused night after night. She snatches brief moments of peace through friendships with the other women in the brothel, but these friendships themselves are dangerous because it leaves her with something more to lose. The story is written in prose poetry. The shortest chapter can tell of indescribable pain in short blunt sentences that leave you feeling breathless and afraid to turn the page. The author based the experiences in this book on interviews with some of the thousands of girls and women sold into the sex trade in India.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a librarian in a High School in New Zealand and I was looking online for book reviews of SOLD because I have just got a letter asking me to remove it from our collection. This very irate mother says that the book has the potential to cause damage and disturb and does not enhance learning....whereas all the book reviews I have read have been very positive and re-inforced my belief in this book as being a powerful, important story, and McCormick tells it well. So I will not be removing it from our library collection anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Sold right now,
and it is very, very good.
I spent about an hour and a half reading it this afternoon. It was hard to put down.